Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Rain, Rain, Go AWAY!!

I thought it never rains in California. It rained all night & we might get up to an inch here in the desert before it ends. It's snowing in other places & I think I heard about flooding in downtown L.A. - not sure as I was pretty groggy & just hearing bits & pieces from the tv as I slept on the couch. In any case, this storm is really screwing up my day. Had plans to pick up some furniture down near San Diego & transport it to a storage unit in Hollywood. Would have been an all-day trip & I had my brother & Michael enlisted to help. I'm leery of leaving the furniture - already paid for - and going back to New Jersey, but the seller seems like a really nice guy & we can't help the weather.

In the grand scheme of things, I've no right to complain. Death toll from the Dec. 26th tsunami has climbed to 40,000 people now & it will probably keep rising. Hard to imagine a wave that large coming in with practically no warning, and amazing that some were able to escape it & tell their stories. We have extended family over in Thailand, but they live some 500 miles away from the coastline that got hit. Our thoughts go out to those who lost loved ones.

Got two recipes from my sister in law today, one for soup & one for Chow Mein, both made from scratch. Mmm. She made the soup for lunch yesterday & it was incredible. She made me use chopsticks & toward the end I could actually pick up the noodles without dropping them. Surprised myself. She's going to teach me to make more of the dishes & she's got to take me to the Asian stores to show me what vegetables she uses. I can't wait to settle in at the new apartment & start cooking again. I love to cook but haven't made time for it in ages.

Ok, I'm off to try & fight the rainy day boredom. I've got two books to read & there's always the internet, but I'm feeling restless & wishing today could be made more productive. I'll learn to relax one of these days.

www.ladyalchemy.com