Friday, March 18, 2005

Over the Rainbow?

It's raining & would be a perfect day to stay in & watch movies. Too bad I don't have the Wizard of Oz dvd. It's one of my favorite movies ever & it's on my mind today. They had a huge video screen at the Marc Jacobs store opening party last night & I waited for the video loop to go around again so I could capture this shot. Where's Glinda when I need her? Hmmm...

Had an unexpected phone call this morning from my sister-in-law, saying they can't sleep at night & she wants to see everything worked out between me and my brother. I've got a heap of resentment within me right now, but the phone call is an encouraging start. We'll see.

So anyway, back to the Marc Jacobs party. For an entire block, one lane of Melrose Avenue was reserved for staging the valet parking. The tv & still cameras lined up against the barricades & the arriving guests paraded by, some unnoticed & others greeted with shouts & camera flashes. It was cool but kind of weird to see Perry Farrell being interviewed right next to Tori Spelling. Jared Leto wound up standing right next to me at one point - my god he's hot. Is there a My So-Called Life dvd box set? Hmm. His band sounds pretty good, too. Mental note to go check them out at some point. Maybe they'll get on a bill with The Panic Channel. That would rock. Oh, I saw Billy Morrison on his way into the party, too, and got a photo of him walking in with Marilyn Monroe on the video screen behind him. Too surreal. I love this city!

After the Marc Jacobs thing last night, I went to the Parlour to see my friends' band called the Secret Society of the Sonic Six. Avant garde. I liked them. The look was a John Waters vibe, Kenneth Anger films playing on the monitor, red painted walls, chandeliers, candles, and the delightfully gothic Ms. Ivanka. I honestly cannot describe the sound. Don Bowles from The Germs hosted the night, and although I had never met him before, I felt like I was looking at an old friend from my NYC days. Did I mention I love this city?

www.ladyalchemy.com